Boston Book Club Blog

What do you get when you have lots o' librarians, one filmmaker, and a teacher??????

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Bangkok 8 Meeting

Bangkok 8 Meeting
Location: Thai Smile, Harvard Square
In Attendance: Anne, Beth, Cynthia, Donna, Erin, Paula, Rachel and Wendy

First off, I’d like to say this is the least depressing book Anne has ever picked.

Rachel went first. She didn’t like the book at all. (This was not a surprise to me- she mentioned this once or twice over the past month.) She thought it was poorly written. Specifically, the lines “her ovaries shuddered” made Rachel shudder. But actually most other readers seemed to like the book more than Rachel did.
She was the lone voice of dissent.

In case anyone was wondering if the penis statues at the Hilton were just fiction, Wendy assured us they were not. She told us about her own experiences with Thai fertility artwork and most memorably the “penis tree. “ Unfortunately, she forgot to bring her example to the meeting, but maybe next time. (FYI - The Book Club LOVES visuals aids of all kinds)

Erin thought the book showed an interesting perspective of Thai prostitutes - that they were portrayed as tough business women and they weren’t sentimentalized - is that a word? Donna really liked the mother and her business sense.

I have to confess I didn’t finish and I don’t have a good reason.

Thank God! Anne just called. I almost got her to write up this blog for me, but we decided she will write a future blog. Anne said she really liked it, she thought Bangkok seemed like a vibrant city and she would like to visit someday. She also enjoyed the book because she never knew what was going to happen next and the resolution surprised her.

After dinner, I interviewed Cynthia for the blog, but I think I scared her. I have to work on my approach. But she did say she thought parts of the book were crass, but then she felt bad for calling the book crass, And then I said no, I really liked brutally honest answers when I’m getting exclusive interviews for the blog.

In a dramatic last minute change of mind, I announced our next book would be “Winner of the National Book Award” by Jincy Willet. (That is just a partial title.)

After noting the number of black puffy jackets in the group, I think we should name ourselves The Puffy Jacket Book Club. The two of us who do not have puffy jackets will be forced to buy one and then we can sew “Book Club - Stand Back 60 Feet” on the back of our jackets so people will know who we are when we’re out on the town. This is just an idea.

After, I forced everyone to go to Burdicks and since it was so crowded, people had to wait in the freezing cold outside while I waited inside for nectar from the gods. But at least they had those puffy black jackets to keep them warm.

Beth

3 Comments:

At Wednesday, December 21, 2005, Blogger biblio said...

I waited in the cold with my red wool coat! I like the idea of book club jackets, but I also like to be unique so I may resist the black puffy coat. We'll see...

Donna

 
At Friday, December 23, 2005, Blogger biblio said...

LOVE the puffy black jacket thing. Although it reminds me of a bad incident at the UW. Anyway, thanks for the post. Still can't decide if I'll read it or not.

-jen

 
At Monday, December 26, 2005, Blogger biblio said...

Jen,

You have to tell us about the bad incident with a pffy black jacket a UW,

Beth

 

Post a Comment

<< Home