Boston Book Club Blog

What do you get when you have lots o' librarians, one filmmaker, and a teacher??????

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Hitchhikers Meeting

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

In Attendance: Anne, Beth, Cynthia, Donna, Erin, Manda, Paula and Rachel.

Special Guest: Paul

Foreword: I know I’m missing a lot of what people said, but it’s been about month now and I have forgotten. I’m really going to take notes next time. Rachel and I brainstormed over a meal at Bugaboo Creek about what we remembered and this is what we came up with. We were interupted by the talking bison telling bad jokes. So please add your comments.

It was the most contentious book club ever. Donna opened up and she didn’t hold back. She hated Hitchhikers and she thought there was no point to it and it really wasn't that funny. I pointed out the Hard Boiled Wonderland didn’t have a point and didn’t really make any sense either, but everyone loved that. Rachel jumped in and explained the whole philosophy behind the Hardboiled, but I think everyone likes it because there was a librarian in it. I asked Donna don’t you think it’s funny that mice were really smart and Earth was designed by architects? No, she didn’t think it was funny.

I enjoyed Hitchhikers so much I read the next in the Series - the Restaurant at the End of the Universe. I loved the scene in the Restaurant at the End of Universe, its worth reading just for that. I told a whole story about the computers and tea not realizing it was from the second book and no one knew what I was talking about. I started the third book, but I guess I had my fill, because I never finished it.

Rachel didn’t like it either, but she sees the books influence in modern pop culture. She tried to say that the OC is really influenced by it. But I wasn’t buying that. Douglas Adam’s writing reminded me of a funnier, less serious Kurt Vonnegut. For some reason this really angered Rachel. I don’t know why.

We let Paul out of the kitchen to make comments since he read the book as a youth and again along with Paula. As a teen he thought it was the funniest book ever, but this time around he didn’t think it was that great.

No one really wants to see the Hitchhikers movie now.

We all calmed down and sat down for dinner. Paula and Paul made a great meal -minestrone soup, eggplant lasagna, salad and apple crisp for dessert.

We then heard about Anne’s job and the hiring process of her new job which dragged on and on and on. But we now know that worked out. then we all told stories about every crazy person we ever worked with so that went on for awhilke.

Anne had a Lisa-Dan update. She heard Dan screaming “Lisa, I f**king hate you, I f**king love you, I want to f**king marry you. But you should really hear Anne’s impresson if it. It’s the repetition that is hysterical.

Afterwards we watched the giraffe documentary and someone came up with a great idea that we should videotape a meeting and air it on cable access. We will have to discuss this in detail next time.

Beth

2 Comments:

At Wednesday, December 07, 2005, Blogger biblio said...

Beth - thanks for sharing. I'm sad I missed it. And I sorta feel the relationship w/ Vonnegut. Don't tell Rachel!

-Jen

 
At Wednesday, December 14, 2005, Blogger biblio said...

Great update, thanks, Beth. I did think a few parts were funny and I loved the depressed robot. Other than that, yes, I hated it. I felt it was written just to be a cult item; much like Napoleon Dynamite (yuck).

Donna

P.S. Anne's neighbor's name is Ashley.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home